Author Topic: Moderately Cryptic Daily Devlog  (Read 3713 times)

NMcCoy

• Administrator
  • Be nice to the kobolds.
    • View Profile
  • Pronoun: he/him/his
Moderately Cryptic Daily Devlog
« on: January 16, 2014, 01:55:43 AM »
1/15/2014: Got finalized concept sketch for Lynet from artist. Reworked hard-ground-repel code to make it work with local down in rails mode.
To consider: firm floor and ceiling for free mode space levels. Consolidate autopilot constraints in a separate script, or at least a separate function in the motor script? Clamp maximum squish of firm walls.
Implied next tasks: Make tunnel know/communicate whether the floor is hard. Autopilot hints for firm walls.  Implement free mode boundaries. Pay artist. Stop procrastinating on level design.
:ddot: :kobold:

NMcCoy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Moderately Cryptic Daily Devlog
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 02:08:06 AM »
1/17/2014: Implemented coins (and modified collectible script for adjustable roll-magnet), collectible groups (which communicate with formation trackers), coin ring generators. Did lots and lots of messing with rails-mode camera; after about 6 hours of work, went from "good enough" to "still pretty much good enough, but with a lot more math involved". Adjusted ship speed mechanics; boost, brake, etc are now multipliers rather than defined speeds. (Easier to conceptualize when tweaking them.) Adjusted crystal-juggling script to actually check the player's base speed. Paid artist. Found new ways to procrastinate on level design (camera math).

TODO: Implement score system. Veto radio chatter triggers when dead. Make juggling parameters private to circumvent prefab stupidity. Consider: Improve crash cam (perhaps just use maneuver cam). On that note, make camera properly modal rather than inline if-statement nonsense. Also, most of yesterday's todos.

1/18/2014: Weekend. Added a score counter with fanciness; coins and stars give points, digits spin. Did some more camera wrangling. Tired of putting up with camera code, will give it a break for now.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 12:39:55 AM by NMcCoy »

NMcCoy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 09:50:31 PM »
1/20/2014: Did some camera refactoring, broke things, fixed things, tweaked things. Lots of effort for barely-noticeable changes, but it's the sort of thing that would feel subtly wrong if I didn't fix it. Implemented enemy homing missiles. Make homing missiles more accurate. Made homing missiles less accurate (ow). Set up version control in case I break the labyrinthine camera code again.

1/21/2014: Largely unproductive day. Made a simple pointy building model, did some design and experimentation with procedural level generation. Think I have a plan for it that will work well, will try some more proof-of-concept on it tomorrow. To consider: modular rooms, Markov-chainish level patterning.

1/22/2014: Music day. Sketched out another level-victory tune, tweaked arrangement of a level tune. Finally acquired a nice timpani sample (shoutouts to spt3125 on freesound.org!) Spent too much time playing Hearthstone. Went to bed early in an attempt to fix sleep cycle.

1/23/2014: Stayed up too late for non-work-related reasons. Made doors that swivel open as you damage them, and explode if you damage them a lot. Added code to make destroyable things give you points. Added support for shootable things to exclude themselves from granting combo bonuses. Modified explosion code to place the explosion at the center of the object's model's bounding box, rather than at the object's origin.

1/24/2014: Fixed a cute bug where you'd get one point for dying. Fixed damageables not taking damage from multiple things in the same frame. Experimented with various decorative effects. Made combo bonuses actually grant points. Fixed a bug where things without renderers wouldn't explode. Stress-tested large quantities of destructible pointybuildings.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 12:20:29 AM by NMcCoy »

NMcCoy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 11:44:12 AM »
1/27/2014: Considered more story structure and character plans. Implemented a basic "keep the player in bounds" setup for free-roam mode. (Actually realized I could get it basically for free with my existing waypoint system plus an exit trigger; it works surprisingly well.) Attempted to fix sleep cycle.

1/29/2014: Did lots of work on obstacle-avoidance AI. Still not quite where I want it, but it's decent enough so far. My naive algorithm seems to work better than the fancy alternative I have. Coding, testing, debugging.

1/30/2014: Started laying the groundwork for 'bombs'. Set up an audio deduplication trick, so everything blowing up at once doesn't hurt your ears.

2/1/2014: Implemented time-stop and some basic special effects for the aforementioned 'bombs'.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 11:13:06 PM by NMcCoy »

NMcCoy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 11:14:55 PM »
2/3/2014: Polished up special effects considerably, did some sound work as the existing sounds really weren't sufficient to keep up with the intensity of the visuals.

2/4/2014: Sleep cycle terrible. Didn't get to bed until 11am, slept all day. Accomplished nothing notable.

2/5/2014: Sleep cycle still disrupted (anti-shoutouts to 5am fire alarms). Factored out my healthbar-drawing code into a static function for reuse. Made a super attack meter, tied it to score gain for now.

2/6/2014: Made an AI setup for fleeing from the player, for boss-fight-ish testing. (Not currently calibrated for railmode, though that would probably be even simpler to make.)  Made a minimap arrow thingy for important points of interest that are outside of the minimap's field of view.

2/7/2014: Drew and coded a hud target callout, for showing mission objectives, boss/ally lifebar, etc. Figured out how to sort HUD layering properly.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 01:40:06 AM by NMcCoy »